‘No passion in the world is equal to the passion to alter someone else’s draft.’
H. G. Wells
About The Editing House:
Founded in 2002, The Editing House is owned and run by Claire Pickering – a published author herself. The material handled ranges from fiction to academic and the team also has experience in formatting and compiling both plays and poems. The Editing House liaises and works directly with authors, proofreaders, publishing houses, agents, in-house technical and marketing departments, institutes and organisations all over the world in order to meet strict publishing deadlines. The Editing House has been involved in book promotions for new releases, in addition to creating blurbs and checking artwork for jacket designs. Claire has also been responsible for setting up, designing and implementing the company house style.
Qualifications and previous experience:
- Fully qualified, experienced proofreader and editor;
- worked for London-based publisher;
- certificate of merit (proofreading and editing diploma) from Maple Academy;
- published author.
- Proofreading (hard-copy using BSI proof correction marks & on-screen) and substantive copy-editing;
- good attention to detail; methodical; conscientious; reliable; effective communicator;
- content and line editing;
- published author; blog administrator/writer; article writer;
- ability to work to tight deadlines;
- creation/preparation of running headers, preliminary pages/end matter, TOCs, bibliographies, glossaries and Indices;
- editing/rewriting work where English is a second language;
- book marketing, book coaching and writing presentations;
- rewriting and restructuring;
- co-owner of The Writers’ House UK, established to help authors bring their work up to a publishable standard, get their work published and keep their work in the marketplace.
All subjects considered from fiction to non-fiction/academic/self-help/how-to.
Details of commissions:
- Over 10 years’ experience in the publishing industry.
- Edited hundreds of manuscripts, from fiction to non-fiction, all of which have gone on to be published.
- Work undertaken direct with both publishing houses and authors.
The Editing House understands that you have invested a lot of time and effort into your work and you can be confident that they will respect all confidentiality. Your book will be handled in a professional manner so you can be proud of your work.
Words our clients use to describe us:
Friendly, professional, efficient, reasonably priced, personal service, approachable, can-do attitude, dynamic, accurate, tenacious, will guide and encourage you, will challenge ideas, will give clarity to your work, perfectionist, honest, positive, quick response time …
- Do you have a novel in you?
- Do you know where to go from here?
- Are you unable to write it down?
- Are you finding that you are not getting anywhere?
Contact us for a personal, competitive, individually priced quotation. Pay only for the work completed. We are happy to produce sample chapters for your consideration prior to committing to using our service. We will also compile a queries sheet for your consideration, in addition to making changes in the main body of the text. Work can be tailored to suit individual needs. With many years of experience in the publishing industry, let us improve your writing and get the best out of your work, by eliminating spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.
The knowledge and experience Claire and The Editing House has gained over time is brought to you from Oswestry, North Shropshire.
‘I have found The Editing House to be an invaluable asset in my own capacity as a published author. The importance of their depth of knowledge, which they have made constantly available to me, often at very short notice, cannot be overstated. Their performance exceeds expectations at all times and I found them to be extremely conscientious and completely dependable – nothing is too much trouble. I would not hesitate to employ The Editing House in the future and I recommend their services extremely highly.’
Brendan Martin, The Way to Valhalla
‘I am so thrilled I chose The Editing House to edit my book. It was very important to me to get my message out to help others through publishing my book, but being slightly dyslexic I was very concerned about my spelling and grammar. The Editing House sorted everything out, without changing the essence of my message. I highly recommend Claire Pickering and The Editing House. Claire is professional, understanding and incredibly reliable and efficient.’
Rebecca Richmond, Forget Fibromyalgia: Putting the Pieces Together